čtvrtek 13. prosince 2012

Book Review: Deep & Wide by Andy Stanley


A friend of mine, who happens to be a North Point pastor, gave me a couple of DVDs by Andy Stanley way back in 2004 after hearing what we try to achieve in our newly planted church in the Czech Republic. As I watched these, now almost classic messages, my heart was overwhelmed and I was hooked. This was exactly what we tried to do, only hundreds, if not thousands, times better. So, I became a fan. I read everything what Andy and his team wrote, attended their Drive conferences or Catalyst conferences, listened to podcasts, interviews and else. As I did, I also became a friend with several other North Point staffers, some of them even visiting us in our church.

From all these sources I have learnt tons of wisdom and I could trace a lot back stories about North Point, but still there were empty spots in both history of the church and why they have come to such different organizational culture than their heritage was: what drove their discussions and decisions. Some of the spots were filled in recent years just listening to Andy speaking and sharing, but some were still unclear to outside observer like me. Now, the spots are gone. Deep and Wide finally gives a compelling and insightful look behind the scene and explain how the NP leaders got into some decisions, what motivated them and how they applied it. This gives a fantastic grid for understanding their ministry philosophy.


And since the book is well written, it also answers most common questions you wanted to ask as well as gives an intro to North Point even to those who have never had a chance to visit Atlanta. But be warned! After reading this you will want to visit and learn from North Point everything you can, because they do exactly the service to a new generation of leaders what Bill Hybels and Willow Creek did to them twenty years back.

Information at the end: Nobody gave me the book for free to review it, in fact, I was happy to buy a copy for myself and two more for two of my closest leaders and I read its 340 pages in one week. Such a good read it is that you will not waste a time to finish it quickly! And PS. See you at Drive Conference :-)

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat